The Institute of Technology Tralee has established a world-class research centre in the area of Intelligent Mechatronics and Radio-frequency identification (RFID) i.e. The Intelligent Mechatronics and RFID Centre [The IMaR Centre].
The principal theme of the IMaR Centre is the synergy between mechatronics and RFID for industrial applications in the highly technological manufacturing industry driven by new technology, innovation and global demand. Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field of engineering that includes a combination of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, control engineering and computer engineering. Radio-frequency identification (RFID) is the wireless non-contact use of radio-frequency electromagnetic fields to transfer data, for the purposes of automatically identifying and tracking tags attached to objects.
The centre is core funded by Enterprise Ireland and houses state-of-the-art research facilities. The overall mission of the IMaR Centre is to be industries partner of choice for the provision of innovative applied research. The IMaR Centre will serve a cross section of industries including Automotive, Telecommunications, Pharmaceutical, Production / Manufacturing, Aeronautical, Environmental, healthcare and Agri-business.
IT Tralee/IMaR is also a member of the Lero – Irish Software Research Centre, one of Lero’s strategic goals is to work with industry partners to identify and solve industry problems, generating new SW-based products & services thus ensuring that Lero’s research is firmly connected to the real world.
We are looking for a highly-motivated Research Fellow to join the research team at IMaR. We are looking for someone who has a passion for new technologies and who has experience in vision and robotics development. The successful candidate will collaboratively work and contribute to an on-going research project with one of our industrial partners Dairymaster.
- Master’s degree in Science or Engineering or equivalent.
We are particularly seeking people who possess the following attributes:
- Understanding of and experience with any of the following: 3D object recognition, real-time machine vision and its application for control of robotic systems, pattern recognition, sensor alignment and calibration.
- A solid engineering background with hands-on experience developing robotics and/or vision systemsExcellent analytical and problem solving skills, an ability to understand complex problems and generate appropriate pragmatic technical solutions.
- Proven ability to analyse technical software development/design issues and manage them to resolution.
- Ability to work on own initiative, in a fast paced environment with attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Constantly promote awareness of best industry practices, providing company training as required.
- Energetic and eager to learn and implement new technologies when required.
- Focused on keeping your knowledge up to date.
- Knowledge of Agriculture and especially Dairying.
- Excellent knowledge of statistical analysis and software programs such as Mathcad/Octave/R or equivalent.
The ideal candidate will also possess the following attributes:
- PhD in engineering or equivalent.
- Knowledge of programming tools such as C/C++ or VisualBasic and advantage.
- Experience with using embedded microprocessors.
- Proven ability to take ownership of development projects.
- Self-motivated and able to work on own initiative, with excellent organisational and personal management skills.
- Professional and mature attitude to work with energy, drive and enthusiasm – to be a proactive member of the team.
Duration of Contract
An attractive salary will apply to this post, dependant on employee experience and qualifications.
All applications must be made online at www.ittralee.ie
About Institute of Technology Tralee
IT Tralee is involved in the provision of third level education, training and research & development for the economic, technological, scientific, commercial, industrial, social and cultural development of the State with particular reference to the region served by the Institute. It also develops and maintains linkages with other educational organisations, industry, commerce, other professions and the community. The Institute has three principal schools, i.e. School of Business, Computing & Humanities, School of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics and School of Health & Social Sciences. It offer programmes in a number of areas including Agriculture, Biological & Pharmaceutical, Business & Management, Construction, Creative Media, Engineering, Environmental, Food, Culinary Arts & Cookery, Health, Leisure & Fitness, Hospitality & Hotel Management, Information Science/Systems, Music, TV & Radio, Nursing, Outdoor Activity, Renewable / Energy, Social Sciences, Computing & Technology, Tourism & Wildlife. The Institute also has a number of research centres in the following areas: Centre for Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development Shannon Applied Biotechnology Centre Irish Academy of Hospitality & Tourism Intelligent Mechatronics and RFID UNESCO Chair in Inclusive Physical Education, Sport, Fitness and Recreation In addition, the Tom Crean Business Incubation Centre (creancentre.com) plays a key role in fostering and developing the entrepreneurial mindset as part of the innovative ecosystem of the Institute of Technology Tralee and where successful start-ups can move to the Kerry Technology Park who share our 113 acre North Campus.